Tuesday 1 October 2013

Geometrical Analysis of underlying form - week 3

Week 3; today we did Geometrical analysis of underlying forms. The task was to draw either a natural or man made form, I chose to draw the natural object which was an old sheep's skull. The idea behind the lesson was that it would help us to improve our understanding of 3D model wire-frames. Chiaroscuro was the word of the day, it means a high contrast between light and dark.




Both drawings

For this drawing I first started off by drawing shapes and drawing the underlying forms. The technique allowed me to see how the skull is formed and allowed me to draw what was there rather than what I see. The drawing was done in chalk, charcoal, compressed charcoal and pastels on blue paper. The shadows were done using the charcoal and rubbed into the paper. I think that the drawing technique works well because drawing in the form allows me to draw the correct proportions for the object and to make it lifelike; it also allows me to understand the object form better which should help when it comes to modelling in 3ds Max.

Georgina O'keefe's skull drawings are great examples of the technique.
The contrasts in the images bring out the form really well. 

Chiaroscuro can be seen in Giovanni Baglione's Sacred and Profane Love painting with it's rich use of light and dark contrasts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment